Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] how to debug on windows?

From: Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 13:55:10 -0400
Joshua (Shiwei) Zhao wrote:
Hi,
I just started to try making some changes to the code. I'm using MSVC
2005 EE as IDE. But since we're compiling/building it using the gcc
tool, can I debug it in MSVC or should I use gdb?  How should I start?
I read the online manual for developers but the debug chapter is
empty.  I tried to start debugging in MSVC and wireshark did run, but
it didn't break at the breakpoint I set.

Many thanks,
Joshua

Several comments:

1. If possible, it's probably a good idea to use VS2008 EE since that's
   what is being used for the  standard Wireshark Windows builds.
   (See the developer document).

2./ Re:
   > But since we're compiling/building it using the gcc
   > tool,

  I'm not sure what you mean here. The Windows build of Wireshark
  uses the Microsoft compiler (not the GCC compiler) from the command
  line (as well as using some cygwin stuff).

3. For debugging using VS see http://wiki.wireshark.org/Development/Tips
  using vatrious cygwin stuff)