Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Displaying an entire pcap file by TCP/UDP stream

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 13:30:40 -0700

On May 8, 2008, at 11:35 AM, Eiland, Edward (GE, Research) wrote:
I have a need to review reconstituted TCP/UDP streams across an entire packte capture file. While this is possible manually, it surely is not practical for large pcap files. Is there a solution exist to automate this process? It would, for my problem, actually be best for each stream to be saved in a separate file.

	http://wiki.wireshark.org/Tools

speaks of

tcpflow Extracts data streams from TCP connections and writes each stream to a file (GPL, BSD/Linux/Unix)

under "Monitoring/tracing tools"; see

	http://www.circlemud.org/~jelson/software/tcpflow/

It doesn't handle UDP, but, as UDP is a packet-oriented rather than a byte-stream protocol, it's less clear what a UDP "stream" is, and, as UDP does not itself do reliable in-order delivery, it's not clear that a file made up of all the UDP packet payloads, in sequence, glued together would be useful. What *particular* protocols running atop UDP are you dealing with here?