Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] New Wireshark welcome page!

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 08:44:19 +0200
Hi,

Like Chris said, if a product matches the requirements it's no problem mentioning it. Their has to be a clear remark it's a commercial product though and that the reporter (you fi.) are related to the company selling it. That is to avoid creating the image of pushing the products.

Thanx,
Jaap

Maynard, Chris wrote:
Gerald,

I think if you search back through the mailing list archives, you'll
find mention of a number of commercial products, and I don't recall
there being any uproar on the list about any of them because of it.
Just because this is an open-source project, I don't think that
prohibits the mentioning of commercially available products when
relevant and appropriate.  If you can recommend a useful product that
may help someone else - whether it's an open-source product or not - I
think it's perfectly reasonable to do so.

Maybe others have a different opinion, but that's just my 2 cents, for
what it's worth.
- Chris

Gerald Combs wrote:
On the subject of advertising, how do people feel about me mentioning
CACE
products in the mailing lists? So far I've resisted, but it's pretty difficult (for example, when someone says they're having trouble capturing .11 traffic in Windows).