Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] New Wireshark welcome page!

From: "Graeme Lunt" <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 08:49:36 +0200
Ulf,

> > One suggestion - how about including the version information
> > (including a build date)?
> >
> No, that's what the about dialog is for. I want to avoid too much
> information on that page, because it will get more and more confusing
> and less informative.

I think it is useful to have this information on the front page as
most users will never actually go and look at the about dialog. If
they can see that their copy of Wireshark is 12 months out of date
when they start it, they might look for a later version.

> Hopefully we'll get an automatic update mechanism for the Windows
> version in the not too distant future, so the version info won't be that
> interesting as it currently may seem.

Unfortunately, for my user community (and I suspect others), they will
not be able to use this functionality as they will generally be on an
isolated network.

> > One bug - (on Windows) if I select "Open (Open a previously captured
> > file)" and then cancel the dialog - then clicking anywhere (even on
> > the toolbar and menubar) on Wireshark will always bring the open
> > dialog back up.
> >
> I can reproduce this bug, but unfortunaetely even after debugging I have
> no clue what's going on or how to solve this one :-(
>
> You may file a bug report ...

Will do.

Graeme