Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Unable to open OpenVMS tcptrace
From: Bill Meier <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 18:28:58 -0400
Abhik Sarkar wrote:
For a few versions now (since 0.99.5), I have been unable to open
OpenVMS tcptrace files using Wireshark. A sample file is attached. In
some cases, the File Open dialog preview shows is as an invalid Endance
ERF file, sometimes an invalid Lucent/Ascend format and so on.
I guess it is because the heuristics of one wiretap file format reader
is better than the others in case of plain text files. Is there some way
this can be improved or it there something wrong with the capture itself?
I've tightened the heuristic used to identify Lucent/Ascend capture
files so that now your example capture is no longer identified as a
Lucent/Ascend file but is correctly identified as a VMS TCPIPTRACE
capture file.
The fix will be available once 0.99.7 is released (or you can obtain or
build a Wireshark development version: SVN #23152 or newer).
If you have examples of other VMS TCPIPTRACE files which are
mis-identified (eg: as an ERF file), please let us know.
(Note that the code to process capture ERF files has very recently been
changed so it's possible that the situation has already improved in this
case).
[For future reference: please use the Wireshark bugzilla
(bugs.wireshark.org) to report problems and provide example capture files].
Thanks

Bill