Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Winpcap-team] Help! Error installing the MS Network Monitor

From: "Gianluca Varenni" <gianluca.varenni@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 08:26:12 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeffrey Chen" <jchen1@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <winpcap-team@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <wireshark-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, September 16, 2007 3:07 AM
Subject: [Winpcap-team] Help! Error installing the MS Network Monitor Driver

Hi all

i'm using Wireshark for a class I'm taking and I keep getting this error when it gets to the portion that installs winpcap. It reads:

"An error occurred while installing the Microsoft Network Monitor Driver (NetMon) (0x800F0203). You will be able to use WinPcap on standard network adapters, but not on Dialup connections and VPNs. Please contact the WinPcap team."

What's weird is that its saying I will still be able to use it on standard network adapters but it doesn't work. When I open Wireshark, and I try to go to Capture: Options I get an error message saying that it was unable to load WinPcap (wpcap.dll). But I can't seem to install that portion of WinPcap.

This is a known bug in the WinPcap installer, that will hopefully be fixed before the next release of WinPcap. If NetMon is not installed properly, there are good chances WinPcap will not work at all.

How do I fix this problem?

Please note that I'm running this on Parallels on my Mac because I couldn't figure out how to install WireShark on my Mac OS. (And I have no or very little knowledge of programming and computers) What should I do?!?

Is it a stripped-down installation of Windows XP? It looks like you are missing some files in your system. Files that are usually there in a vanilla installation of Windows XP. In particular, check if you have a file named npptools.dll in c:\windows\system32.

Have a nice day
GV

Thanks!

- JC