Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Help! Error installing the MS Network Monitor Driver

From: Jeffrey Chen <jchen1@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 06:07:30 -0400
Hi all

i'm using Wireshark for a class I'm taking and I keep getting this error when it gets to the portion that installs winpcap. It reads:

"An error occurred while installing the Microsoft Network Monitor Driver (NetMon) (0x800F0203). You will be able to use WinPcap on standard network adapters, but not on Dialup connections and VPNs. Please contact the WinPcap team."

What's weird is that its saying I will still be able to use it on standard network adapters but it doesn't work. When I open Wireshark, and I try to go to Capture: Options I get an error message saying that it was unable to load WinPcap (wpcap.dll). But I can't seem to install that portion of WinPcap.

How do I fix this problem?

Please note that I'm running this on Parallels on my Mac because I couldn't figure out how to install WireShark on my Mac OS. (And I have no or very little knowledge of programming and computers) What should I do?!?

Thanks!

- JC