Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Wireshark Logo/Icons

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 21:11:17 -0700
Rodney Dawes wrote:
> Gerald Combs wrote:
>> I'm not opposed to changing the current icon set, but it's important to
>> keep an element of the Wireshark logo in order to maintain our brand
>> recognition.  I'm also concerned that your icons are a little too
>> similar to the current logo, and might dilute the trademark.
>
> The element I kept is the shark fin. It is the most prominent part of
> the logo, and is the only part featured in the current icons. As far as
> the trademark goes, I'm not sure how it would be diluting it. The TM'd
> image, and the current icon, I think are a bit over-simplified for an
> application icon/logo on modern operating systems.

The Wireshark design mark features a shark fin formed from a piece of
wire.  Your icon features a shark fin. On a piece of wire. I appreciate
your effort to provide a richer icon, but I'm pretty sure it would
dilute the mark if anyone were to use it in conjunction with with
Wireshark. At the very least it would pave the way for future abuse.

As I said before, I'd prefer to keep an element of the logo in the icon,
for the same reason that Firefox, Acrobat Reader, Skype, OpenOffice.org,
Inkscape, and many others do -- it reinforces our respective brands.