Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] UNISTIM plugin

From: Stephen Fisher <stephentfisher@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 16:40:19 -0700
On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 11:26:18PM -0400, Newton, Don wrote:

> I recently downloaded the pdf from Nortel that describes UNISTIN
> pretty thoroughly and I am probably 30% done fleshing out a plugin
> dissector (it's a very chatting protocol).  I would like to contribute
> but don't want to open a legal can of worms.  The protocol description
> was easy to find on the Nortel Helmsman documentation server so I
> don't see a problem with writing the plugin for my use, but turning it
> over is different.  Has anyone approached Nortel on this?  If you
> search unistim / ethereal you can find a lot of people that have asked
> if one is available.

Thanks for working on this, we're always happy to have new protocols
added to Wireshark.  If you found the protocol documentation easily on
their public web site, then I see no problems integrating it with
Wireshark.  Wireshark already includes support for protocols that are
undocumented and proprietary anyway and many others that are documented
in ways that this protocol you're referring to is.

Steve