Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] File:Import?

From: Sake Blok <sake@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 22:33:45 +0200
On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 04:06:16PM -0400, Maynard, Chris wrote:

> Anyway, I can open a bug for an enhancement to add "File -> Import".
> But it seems that there should also be a separate bug report on
> text2pcap to be able to deal with the packet summary details and to be
> able to glean the timestamp information from the file, if it's
> available.  Would you agree?

In my opinion it would be great to have the "text2pcap" functionality
available from within wireshark as "File | Import". Also nice would
be if a text file was just another type of capture file wireshark
can read. That way, tshark can also handle text files and there would
be no need to seperately maintain the "Import" code and the "text2pcap"
code (wihtout losing the ability to convert text files to pcap files
on from the cli).

Another nice feature on top of this would be to be able to read
"NetScreen" snoop dumps without first having to convert them with
"netscreen2dump.py".

So, yes, I would vote for a "bug for enhancement" :-)
(also for your other enhancements concerning packet summary details
and reading the timestamps)

Cheers,

Sake