Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Bug 491 : time delta behaviour

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 13:08:16 +0800

Guy Harris wrote:
Jeff Morriss wrote:

What about renaming the current field "frame.time_delta_displayed" and name the new one "frame.time_delta"? That changes the current field but it sounds a whole lot more intuitive to me.

Or "delta_displayed" and "delta_captured", which means that any "frame.time_delta" filter would fail rather than filtering something different from what it did before the change.

Or, as per my comment in bug 491 (which I've just now recalled):

Another might be to prohibit filtering on this field altogether since it's,
well, kinda illogical.

I know now (though I didn't know then) that it is possible to make fields not filterable (by making the filter field an empty string) so what about:

- add a new field (with filter "frame.time_delta") which is the time delta to the previous frame in the file - keep the display of the time since the previous displayed packet, but make the field is not filterable

?

Normally I'd see the use in not changing semantics for a field, but I don't think the current semantics make any sense at all so I can't imagine it is being used [therefor it's OK to change it].