Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Bug 491 : time delta behaviour

From: Sake Blok <sake@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 12:06:55 +0100
Hi All,

Last week I ran into bug 491 which describes the unexpected behaviour
of frame.time_delta. This filter is calculated as "Time delta since
previous displayed frame", where one could expect it to be calculated
as "Time delta since previous frame in the trace-file".

When you do a filter like "frame.time_delta > 0.1" you will see
a packet every 100ms, even though the individual time-gaps are
below 100ms. There are a few solutions to this problem, two of them
them seem ok to me are:

1) add another field to incorporate the "Time delta since previous
   frame in the tracefile". This is an option Jeff Morriss suggested
   already.

2) have an option in the "frame" protocol preferences to select the
   behaviour of "frame.time_delta". The default would be to use
   "Time delta since previous displayed frame" and the alternative
   would be "Time delta since previous frame in the trace-file"

Does anyone have another solution for this bug or maybe another idea
for solving it? What would be the prefered way of solving this bug?

If the option is chosen, I can have a look at the code and see if I
can work out a patch :)

Cheers,

Sake