Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Multiple pdus atop TCP -- a lie in README.developer?

From: "Martin Mathieson" <martin.r.mathieson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 15:31:57 +0000
Richard,

I remember struggling with this when writing the Microsoft Media
Server protocol (packet-ms-mms.c), but it did seem to work.

It was ideal for me for 2 reasons:
(1) tcp_dissect_pdus() doesn't work for new-style dissectors that can
reject data
(2) in that protocol large PDUs can be reassembled either over TCP or
multiple IP fragments into > MTU UDP frames, and doing it this way
meant I didn't need to handle them as separate cases

Take a look at the way I use it there and the comments I wrote at the
time.  Having said that, I haven't used it in a long while and don't
have any captures handy here...

Hope this helps,
Martin

On 2/2/07, Richard van der Hoff <richardv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Richard van der Hoff wrote:
> But my real question still stands: does the technique in
> README.developer section 2.7.2, with updating  pinfo->desegment_offset
> and pinfo->desegment_len, not work?

Anybody know the answer to this?

If not, seems like there ought at least to be a caution in
README.developer that it doesn't seem to work, following the principle
that incorrect documentation is worse than no documentation.

Cheers

Richard

--
Richard van der Hoff <richardv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>