Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] U3 questions/remarks

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 10:45:56 -0800
Maynard, Chris wrote:
Just one comment about the name:  Personally, I prefer the version as
part of the program name, not just for U3, but I would prefer it for all
installs actually.

I would strongly prefer it *NOT* be part of the file name (i.e., *NOT* part of the last component of the path name), at least on UN*X, as I tend to run Wireshark from the command line.

If that's not what "part of the program name" means (i.e., if it's still "wireshark" on UN*X), that's OK.

I'd be willing to put up with it being part of the file name if it's Windows-only, although there might be Windows users who would find that inconvenient - especially for tshark users, as tshark is *intended* to be run from the command line or in a script. Scripts are another place where the program has to be invokable with the same name from release to release.