Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Security Consideration: Priviledge Separation

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 11:04:18 -0700
CS Lee wrote:

So since wireshark needs root priviledge for initial launch,

...unless you're running on an OS (such as anything using BPF) where you can grant non-root users privileges to capture packets.

maybe we can have wireshark drop its priviledge to other user(wireshark user maybe),

If it can drop privileges, either

1) it can't regain them, in which case once it's done one capture, it can't do any more

or

2) it can regain them, in which case if you can inject code into Wireshark via a security vulnerability, that code can regain them.

However, Wireshark now uses dumpcap to do packet capture. If other functions that require root privileges can also be done by that program, Wireshark wouldn't need privileges - only dumpcap would need them.

See

	http://wiki.wireshark.org/Development/PrivilegeSeparation

for some discussion about this.