Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Automatic capture filters

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 10:58:37 -0700
Stephen Fisher wrote:

I regularily SSH into a box and then set my X11 DISPLAY variable so that wireshark / other programs will continue running even when I close my SSH session (I always accidently kill my SSH session, thus bringing down X11 fowarding). This means that the code detects my SSH variables and sets up that capture filter and skips the X11 one because they are each in if() else statements. I need it to block the X11 one only (or both). How about we change the code to allow this?

What do you mean by "allow"?

Do you mean "detect the X11 variables and skip the SSH variables if the X11 variables are set", i.e. "check the X11 variables first rather than checking the SSH variables first", for the "X11 one only" case, and "detect all the variables" for the "(or both)" case?

If so, is "block the X11 one only" the preferred solution, or is "both" the preferred solution?