Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] RFC: New "Conversation Filter" entry in the context menu of

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 04:20:37 +0200
Guy Harris wrote:
I think in at least some UI guidelines it's recommended that all functions available through the context menu also be available through the main menu; this might be something under "Analyze" (unless we have a separate "Filter" main menu, in which we might put other filtering options).
I know that guidelines, but I have real doubts that this is generally a good advise.

However, this is an experiment.
Is that list currently hard-wired?
Of course, this is an experiment.
It might be useful to allow a dissector to register, for the current link-layer packet, a filter for the current conversation. The "Conversation Filter" menu(s) would have submenu items for all registered conversation filters.
Next step, like to collect some more opinions first.
An entry will only be selectable, if the selected packet contains that protocol.
In the scheme I'm talking about, the menu would only have entries for elements in the list of registered filters - and the menu item would be disabled if the list is empty.
That would be against the HIG you mentioned above. I'm just unsure about that.

As we could have potentially hundreds of entries here, the best way to display this might really be to only show the entries of the currently selected packet.
Motivation: I've often saw people using the "Follow TCP stream" function "only" to filter the TCP stream, closing the upcoming dialog right after it's shown.

YES.  I do that quite often.
It seems your not the only one :-)

Regards, ULFL