Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] RFC: New "Conversation Filter" entry in the context menu of

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 17:57:30 -0700
Ulf Lamping wrote:

I've just added a new entry to the packet list context menu: "Conversation Filter".

I think in at least some UI guidelines it's recommended that all functions available through the context menu also be available through the main menu; this might be something under "Analyze" (unless we have a separate "Filter" main menu, in which we might put other filtering options).

If you select a packet and then use the context menu, you'll see the following subentries:

- Ethernet
- IP
- TCP
- UDP
- PN-CBA Server (very PROFINET specific)

Is that list currently hard-wired?

It might be useful to allow a dissector to register, for the current link-layer packet, a filter for the current conversation. The "Conversation Filter" menu(s) would have submenu items for all registered conversation filters.

An entry will only be selectable, if the selected packet contains that protocol.

In the scheme I'm talking about, the menu would only have entries for elements in the list of registered filters - and the menu item would be disabled if the list is empty.

Motivation: I've often saw people using the "Follow TCP stream" function "only" to filter the TCP stream, closing the upcoming dialog right after it's shown.

YES.  I do that quite often.