Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 18427: /trunk/ /trunk/epan/dissector

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 20:22:14 +0200
Martin Mathieson wrote:
This dependency (sharing of this variable) has existed since dct2000 support was first committed (14th April).
Has it never been built on OSX-10.3-PPC?

I didn't realise I was introducing a new dependency. There is no other obvious place in the preferences to control the behaviour of a wiretap module. I like being able to control it from the relevant protocol preferences, even though a file has to be (re)-loaded to see its effect.

Is changing the Windows makefiles as Tomas suggested acceptable? If not, are there any suggestions for how I might make this preference work on all platforms?
Is it a really good idea to have a Preference setting in the wiretap library?!? This will complicate the wiretap interface which is currently lean (and I like it that way). Each of such Preferences will make things even worse. There might be reasons that no other such Preferences currently exist.

Maybe doing the filtering in the packet-frame.c *might* be a better idea.

However, I didn't thought about the pros and cons deeply ...

Regards, ULFL