Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Problem with MIME type on Windows platform

From: "Martin Regner" <martin.regner@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 19:40:20 +0200

Runyon, Steve wrote:
Apparently Ethereal understands this and configures the mimetype during
installation, but Wireshark does not.

wireshare -v:

wireshark 0.99.1pre1

If I have installed wireshark without deinstalling Ethereal then .pcap files are still associated with Ethereal.
After I have deinstalled Ethereal and then installed 0.99.1pre1 then .pcap files are associated with Wireshark

My guess is that the Ethereal/Wireshark installer checks if there already is another program associated with the filetype. I have seen similar behavior where I have another program associated with .cap-files or similar.