Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Problem with MIME type on Windows platform

From: "Runyon,Steve" <Steve.Runyon@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 13:49:00 -0400
Thanks for your response.

The problem is not with a file-type association, it is with a mime-type
association.

Yes, the .pcap files do become associated with Wireshark correctly. But
the mime-type does not.

It would be good to set the mime-type assicoation automatically during
the Wireshark install, as the Ethereal install does, rather than require
the user to somehow edit the Windows registry in order to set the
mime-type association correctly.

The mime-type "application/pcap" used to be associated with Ethereal on
my system. After deinstalling Ethereal and installing Wireshark, this
mime-type is not associated with anything. (Reinstalling Ethereal fixes
the problem, but then I have Ethereal and not Wireshark.)