Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] newbie question

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 09:01:02 +0200

>    Hello all, I am new to Ethereal. I would like to ask when I got file
> about 1 mb full of data captured how do I extract certain information such
> as password from those sniffed data. I run ethereal start to capture and
> when the size of file reaches limit which I set I get a file. The contents
> of this file I can only view in ethereal When I open it in regular viewer
> only bunch of binary data is seen. How can I filter for example ftp or pop
> Passwords?
> Thanx
> Krekan
[254 lines of irrelevant quoting removed]

Please try tshark (or tethereal), the text version of Wireshark, e.g.
tshark -V -r capture.pcap

As you may have read in the message that you needlessly quoted, Ethereal
is now wireshark and development as well as support continues at that
site (http://www.wireshark.org/). Please send future help requests to
protected against spam mail.

 ciao
    Joerg