Ethereal-users: RE: [Ethereal-users] Collecting data for detailed traffic analyses

From: "Visser, Martin" <martin.visser@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 15:49:35 +1000
Ethereal can certainly do this - it just depends how long you want to
run this for. If my maths serves me correctly T1 at 1.5Mbps full-duplex
will carry about 300kB per second max. This equates to a bit over 1GB
per hour, 24GB per day.

If you configure Ethereal to capture say just the first 128 bytes of
each packet you might be able to get this down to 1/10th of the size -
so you could allow for say 3GB per day.

You would probably want to split the capture into 1 hour long files for
ease of management while you are capturing. (You can also then compress
your captures in batch mode).

Ethereal can produce conversation matrices if you want at IP and TCP/UDP
port level.

The alternative tool that specifically allows you to view conversational
data and can use ethereal captured data, or natively capture data is
Ntop - http://www.ntop.org

Regards, Martin

Martin Visser

Technology Consultant
Consulting & Integration
Technology Solutions Group - HP Services

410 Concord Road
Rhodes NSW  2138
Australia

Mobile: +61-411-254-513
Fax: +61-2-9022-1800
E-mail: martin.visserAThp.com

This email (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of
the individual or entity named above and may contain information that is
confidential, proprietary or privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify HP immediately by return email and then delete
the email, destroy any printed copy and do not disclose or use the
information in it.