Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] question about RTP VoIP playback

From: "Rob Stansbury" <rstansbury@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 21:03:33 -0500
A colleague of mine said that Ethereal can play back an RTP stream, a VoIP call to be specific, and that it will duplicate the network characteristics in the audio file. By that I mean high jitter rates and delay issues. Is that true? I can understand choppy audio play back due to lost packets because they did not get captured, but I don't think the audio file created will represent, and produce during playback, the poor audio quality due to jitter and delay.

I have been looking on the Web for a few days, but cannot seem to find any specific discussion of this question. I see numerous examples of many tools providing a mechanism to play back the audio captured in RTP streams, but none of them go into any detail on whether the play back accurately represents the original user's call quality experience.

Thank you for your time,

Rob Stansbury
Data Networking Engineer
IP Revolution L.L.C.,