Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] WLAN Channels - Japan

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 13:32:58 +0200 (CEST)
Hi,

Although off topic, I've googled an answer for you:
---------------------8<-----------------
But after looking into it, I think I've managed to figure out the source
of our disagreement.
The original specification for the IEEE 802.11 standard stated that only
channel 14 was allowed for use in Japan (p.216). The first amendment for
802.11b (DSSS with CCK for 5.5 and 11 Mbps) didn't state anything
different.
However, in October 2001 there was a second amendment to 802.11b that
extended the operating range in Japan to include channels 1-13.
This should explain why cards build after this date (or January 2002)
should work fine in Japan as well.

Now you've some pointers to look into. Off list I hope.

Thanx,
Jaap