Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] WLAN Channels - Japan

From: Mathew Boon <m.boon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 11:51:01 +0100
Hi,

This may be a bit off topic but I don't think this type of question sits definitively in any/most mailing lists.

Does anyone know when Japan's MKK dropped the Channel 14 only regulation and started allowing all channels 1-14 for 2.4 GHz WLAN. In the original 802.11 standard it states that Japan is Channel 14 only, but recently (or, not so recently) cards are shipping that work on channels 1 thru 14 in Japan.

Madwifi drivers for linux allow you to set the countrycode of operation using the numbering scheme defined in ISO 3166. A list of channels for each countrycode is listed in http://www.nuclearcat.com/athmap.txt . This list also suggests channel 1-14 availability in Japan.

Why this happened, and any links to articles discussing the change would also be of help. I am also interested in Spain..

Mathew.