Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] MacOS X and WLAN issue

From: Andreas Fink <andreas@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 00:17:45 +0200
Since I switched from MacOS X on Power PC (a PowerBook G4) to MacOS X on intel (a MacBook Pro) I'm facing a weird behaviour of Ethereal 0.10.14. Even though Ethereal has been compiled on the machine for its CPU and works well on the ethernet interface, using it on the WLAN card of the MacBook Pro makes it loose its connectivity. Note: the intention is simply to capture IP traffic coming from that laptop, going to the internet. No WLAN headers are needed to bee seen. So only host originated packets. I was doing this on my PowerBook G4 for months but on my new MacBook Pro this somehow doesnt want to work at all. When I start capturing, I loose the WLAN symbol right away. If I reconnect via menubar, it stays active for a few seconds and goes offline again. The network I used uses WEP.

Anyone having a clue what could trigger this??

Andreas Fink
Fink Consulting GmbH

Tel: +41-61-6666332 Fax: +41-61-6666331  Mobile: +41-79-2457333
Address: Clarastrasse 3, 4058 Basel, Switzerland
E-Mail:  afink@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Homepage: http://www.finkconsulting.com

ICQ: 101946485 MSN: msn1@xxxxxx AIM: smsrelay Skype: andreasfink
Yahoo: finkconsulting SMS: +41792457333
PGP9: 0714 DF2B A189 A760 6201  5CBD D040 3E71 4DAF 68BB