Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Re: Wireless Connection works only with Ethereal

From: Anshuman Aggarwal <anshuman_agg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 15:14:06 -0700 (PDT)
After I uninstall Wincap, it still does not work even
after multiple reboots. Maybe the uninstall left some
files?...I removed the Netmon driver manually also but
with no luck....all this while the ethernet driver was
working fine.

But re-installing Winpcap and then using Ethereal
works again. Does anyone know what Ethereal does with
Winpcap besides starting the driver?

Thanks all for the help
Anshu

Looks like a winpcap issue. Try ininstalling that and
see what happens.

Thanx,
Jaap

On Sat, 1 Apr 2006, Anshuman Aggarwal wrote:

> Hi,
>  My Intel Proset wireless connection only works when
> Ethereal is capturing packets. It gets connected and
> gets an IP address even when Ethereal is not working
> but no other traffic goes through including no DNS
> resolution. But as soon as I start Ethereal it
> works....I am hoping that someone who understands
what
> Ethereal does that could be making this works...
>
> My ethernet connection works with and without
> ethereal.
>
> Also this wireless connection has worked before
> without ethereal but I am not sure what caused it to
> stop.
>
> I am a reasonably informed user but this is some
> windows internals corruption that I can't figure
out.