Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Tcp Retransmission acceptable %

From: Sean Cook <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 12:28:39 -0600
* hbae@xxxxxxxxxx [2006.01.28 00:16]:
> On 10:51 PM 1/17/2006, Sean Cook wrote:
> >I am very grateful for the reply. I'm looking on the inside of a
> >firewall between a device that acts as a gateway for mobile devices
> >connected to the Internet for GSM/GPRS.
> >
> >Mobile Devices <-> GGSN <..trace here..> Firewall <-> Internet
> >
> >I'm seeing anywhere from 4%-7% retransmission down from 37% ... I still
> >want to clean this up, but wanted to get "ideal" and "real world"
> >numbers before setting my goals.
>

> If you google for "internet packet loss" you'll get some carriers definition of what the SLA is.  But with mobile devices, I would have to think that 3% ain't all that bad!

Thanks.

It appears that we have cleaned this up. We were seeing many, many
mobiles infected with some viruses and many others doing with active
file sharing applications. Once we enabled some firewall policies, that
blocked these ports, the retransmission rate decreased below 2%. The
customer is pleased. Thanks for all the support.

--
Sure he's sharp as a razor ... he's a two dimensional pinhead!