Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Only Seeing Outgoing Packets, Part II

From: "Simon Bradley" <simonbrads@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 13:59:31 +0000
Hi guys,

You'll remember a short thread, which I started last weekend, about only
seeing outgoing packets on my home network. There was some discussion
about the bridges built into 10/100 hubs, although I later confirmed
that everything was connected to the hub at 100 Mbps.

Still, I've now replaced the Netgear 10/100 hub with an old 3Com
OfficeConnect 4 (10 Mbps only). Guess what...

I'm still only seeing outgoing traffic! How in the world is this
possible? Just to remind y'all, this is my setup:

- Internet in via cable to cable modem
- Cable modem connected to 3Com hub
- Hub connected to Linksys WRT54GS wireless router
- Hub also connected to laptop (the monitor)
- Desktop PC connects to the router via wire
- Various laptops connect to the router via wireless

So, so far as I can see, the hub (and therefore the laptop) should see
ALL outgoing and ALL incoming traffic. (I guess the router would direct
stuff between machines on the LAN directly; but anything going out on
the Internet or coming in from the Internet MUST have to pass through
the hub.) I just don't understand how the laptop cannot be seeing these
packets.

Any other ideas would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

Simon