Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] IP Connections Lost

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 11:14:09 -0800
Peter Jam wrote:

Is this a known issue or was it because I was using an older version of Etheral with the new version of WinPCAp?

It might be an issue with WinPcap; we (the Ethereal developers) don't develop or maintain WinPcap, so you'd have to ask them about it.

It's unlikely to be an issue of an Ethereal/WinPcap mismatch, as WinPcap is, as far as I know, supposed to maintain binary compatibility, so that an application built with an older release of WinPcap should work with a newer version. (That's certainly a goal I've maintained for libpcap, as one of the core libpcap developers, so the parts of WinPcap that come from libpcap, at least, should keep that level of binary compatibility.)

I'd suggest downloading WinDump and see if running a WinDump capture causes the same problem. If so, it's a WinPcap problem, in which case I'd suggest you ask the WinPcap developers about it.