Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] New setup: not seeing "ping"

From: "Pete Klammer" <NETRONICS-PE@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 14:39:05 -0700
Ethereal newbie here ...

Problems I am trying to solve:

1) My new cable router (D-Link DI-604) loses its DHCP serving wits after a
few days' uptime: any new PC turned on gets no address, and Windows
connection repair or ipconfig /release /renew times out.  Powering router
off/on restores capability for a while.

2) My old cable routers (Linksys BEFSR41 and BEFSR11) occasionally
(sporadically several times per month) lost connection to Comcast service;
always promptly restored by renewal of router's DHCP lease via
administration status web page.

Setup I am trying to use:

Ethereal v0.10.12 on Winbook Si laptop (850MHz Pentium III, 128MB) Windows
ME with Linksys NP100 (10/100Mbps) PCMCIA card, connected to Linksys EFAH05W
5-port 10/100Mbps hub.  Router on "uplink" port of this hub; working PCs on
other hub ports.

Specific issue today:
With all units re-powered and working, I expected "ping" from working PC on
hub to outside internet address to appear in Ethereal output, but I don't
see it.  I do see plenty of stuff displayed, but none that correlates with
the pinging in any way.

Questions:
Does it make any difference whether the Ethereal host (the Win/ME laptop) is
itself connected to the network?  I.e., does it matter whether or not I do
ipconfig /release before monitoring?

Could I be missing packets?  Is 850MHz 128MB Windows ME inadequate for home
LAN capture?

Best regards,
--
 Peter F. Klammer, P.E.
 NETRONICS Professional Engineering, Inc.