Ethereal-users: RE: [Ethereal-users] Discovering the process that generated a pac ket

From: "DAIGLE, ANDREW PAUL" <ADAIG90@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 16:42:56 -0600

Afaik there is no way to configure Ethereal to associate a packet to a process. However, you should be able to determine the source by inference. Look at the packet's destination IP and destination port. Who does the destination IP belong to? Is the destination port a well-known port? If not, do a Google search and see if you can find an app that listens on that port? Is there any ASCII data in the packet that would help identify what it is requesting? If you suspect Steam, start a capture and launch the Steam client. Does it connect to the same destination IP/IP block/port as the packet in question?

If you can determine who/what the client is talking to, you should be able to determine what process on your machine is doing the talking.

Andrew