Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Re: gzip decode inside HTTP

From: Jerry Talkington <jtalkington@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 15:29:37 -0800
On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 03:27:53PM -0500, Dave Moore wrote:
> I just re-tested this with the latest ethereal-10.14 with both a Windows
> Binary install and FC4 source compile.
>
> Same problem, gzip inside HTTP does not decode.
>
> Use Ethereal to capture traffic from "www.yahoo.com"
>
> Then "follow" the first port 80 connection:

It won't decode the encoding within the "follow," that's simple a dump
of the TCP payload data.  With HTTP, most of that is text, so it appears
that it's working some magic.

Does it decode within the Packet Details frame, in the tree?  If not,
make sure that you have the settings described in
http://wiki.ethereal.com/TCP_Reassembly
checked.

There's a tiny http_gzip.cap on the sample captures page in the wiki as
well, if that decodes then you certainly have a preferences
misconfiguration.  If that doesn't decode, then there is something else
going on.

--
GPG public key:
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x9D5B8762