Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] ethereal library

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 11:48:24 -0700
Yu-Chung Cheng wrote:
I have a GUI program and I want to use ethereal to display packets. I
would like to display each packet in a seperate window. Does ethereal
provide any library calls for external program?

Not one that would let you do that easily. There is a library to do dissection (with an API that is *NOT* frozen!), but that doesn't help you in displaying the packets - the library does dissection, but not display, as it's used by Ethereal (which does GUI display) and Tethereal (which just displays as text).

At some time it might be interesting to export various ActiveX/Bonobo/KParts/AppleScript/etc. interfaces from Ethereal, so that it can be driven by other applications, but that doesn't exist yet.