Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] VLan Tagging

From: Lars Scheffmann <scheffmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 13:10:56 +0200 (DDT)
On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 15:54, Travis L. Riesenberg wrote:

TLR >I am using a TrendNet 10/100/1000Mbps NIC card that supports 802.1q in
TLR >my laptop. I am using Ethereal version Version 0.10.11 (C) 1998-2005
TLR >Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
.
TLR >I am trying to get an ip phone up that is in Italy. I can see packets
TLR >coming from the phone from italy. However I need to look at the 802.1q/p
TLR >bits that are inserted into the MAC frame to make sure they are being
TLR >tagged. I can't seem to see the 802.1q field on any of the packets. I am
TLR >using Cisco trunking on ports going to the router and IP Phones using
TLR >dot1q encapsulation. I am also using SPAN to port mirror the trunk to
TLR >see the traffic. I can see all the traffic but that I can't see the VLAN
TLR >information or the COS bits. Can you please help me?

Normally the ports on the switch are set to access mode, and therefore the
VLAN tag is stripped off.
Set the port, you span to, to trunk mode.

My present NIC doesn't supports 802.1q, so I use these commands on our
Cat 6000, when I want to monitor:
--------------------
conf t
monitor session 1 source interface xyz
monitor session 1 destination interface Fa5/48

interface Fa5/48
no switchport mode access
no switchport access vlan 823
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport mode trunk
end
sh monitor detail
--------------------

And back to normal:
--------------------
conf t
no monitor session all

interface Fa5/48
no switchport mode trunk
no switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport access vlan 823
switchport mode access
end

sh monitor detail

Best regards

Security co-ordinator
Lars Scheffmann,                      E-Mail: scheffmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Syddansk Universitet, IT-service      Direct: +45 6550 2867
Campusvej 55,  DK-5230  Odense M      Mobile: +45 6011 2867
Denmark                               Fax:    +45 6550 2860