Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] VLan Tagging

From: "Travis L. Riesenberg" <asktravisr@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 15:54:21 -0500

Hi,

I am using a TrendNet 10/100/1000Mbps NIC card that supports 802.1q in my laptop. I am using Ethereal version Version 0.10.11 (C) 1998-2005 Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Compiled with GTK+ 2.4.14, with GLib 2.4.7, with WinPcap (version unknown),

with libz 1.2.2, with libpcre 4.4, with Net-SNMP 5.1.2, with ADNS.

Running with WinPcap (3.0) on Windows XP Service Pack 2, build 2600.

I am trying to get an ip phone up that is in Italy. I can see packets coming from the phone from italy. However I need to look at the 802.1q/p bits that are inserted into the MAC frame to make sure they are being tagged. I can’t seem to see the 802.1q field on any of the packets. I am using Cisco trunking on ports going to the router and IP Phones using dot1q encapsulation. I am also using SPAN to port mirror the trunk to see the traffic. I can see all the traffic but that I can’t see the VLAN information or the COS bits. Can you please help me?

Thank You,

Travis Riesenberg, CTP

Vodaci Technologies

11111 Aurora Ave