Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] monitoring on switches

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 02:54:16 -0700
ethereal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Managed switches usually have a span port that gets a copy of all
messages across all the ports, or you can put a hub between one switch
and another to get all the traffic going to the server/firewall/whatever

See

	http://wiki.ethereal.com/CaptureSetup_2fEthernet

for a discussion of this on Ethernet, and

	http://wiki.ethereal.com/CaptureSetup_2fTokenRing

for some similar information for Token Ring.

See

	http://wiki.ethereal.com/SwitchReference

for information about span/mirror/etc. ports on various switch models (or pointers to that information) - note that not all switches, especially low-end ones, support this - and see

	http://wiki.ethereal.com/HubReference

for information about hubs - note that some "hubs" are actually switches.

See also

	http://www.ethereal.com/faq#q5.1

which is the Ethereal FAQ item on this - it refers to the Wiki sections.