Ethereal-users: RE: [Ethereal-users] ethereal output format

From: "Stefan A." <lists@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 16:16:10 +0200
Title: Nachricht
-----Original Message-----
From: ethereal-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ethereal-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of David DuPre
Sent: Friday, July 22, 2005 12:57 AM
To: 'Ethereal user support'
Subject: RE: [Ethereal-users] ethereal output format

Elizabeth,

I like to use the Print to file function, you can make it expand all protocols and include the HEX.  Then you can post process the file with anything you want.

This make it nice because you can override certain decodes.  Ex: When WebLogic is passing HTTP traffic on port 23001 instead of port 80.  Then I can tell Ethereal to decode it as HTTP and see the decoded information in the Print file.  It makes it much easier for me to process when I let Ethereal do the decode work.

 Also, if there is special details in the data portion of the packet, I can process the HEX dump to find what I need.

Hope the helps,

David

David DuPre'
Executive Performance Engineering Consultant
HyPerformix Inc.