Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Getting errors by reading from stdin

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 14:51:11 +0200

Hi everybody,

just a short description of what i am trying to do!

I have two machines with different OS running Ethereal. The first one,
which is working quiet well is "Tru64". The problems i have with is
"unfortunately" Linux (Gentoo). Here the command, which i execute.

ssh user@machine "/usr/local/sbin/tcpdump -i qfe1 -xX -w-" |ethereal -i - -n -k -S -l -p

I start a tcpdump on a remote machine and write its output to "stdin"  ( -w- ). This is piped through the ssh-tunnel
into Ethereal by using the "-i -" option. I got the following error presented by Ethereal.

Error: The capture session could not be initiated (socket: Operation not permitted) . Please make sure you have
sufficient permissions , and that you have the proper interface or pipe specified."

I got this error even if i start ethereal directly with the option "-i -". As i already said! On Tru64 it is working well!!!

Can anybody give me a hint what i am doing wrong or how to fix this?

                Thanx!