Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] indicating dropped packets

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 21:40:29 +0200
David Newman wrote:

> Some commercial sniffers I've used have a dropped packet indicator
> showing when they can't capture all traffic seen. I understand this is
> possible because of the information sent up by some NICs.
>
> Are there NICs that work with Ethereal that have a similar capability?
> If so, are there extensions to Ethereal that would enable it to
> indicate when it's dropping?

Well, which cards will really show packet drops are not known to me,
this will depend on the NIC, driver, platform, libpcap version, ...

Ethereal will display the number of packet drops *after* you've finished
capturing, in the statusbar and under Statistics/Summary

These information won't be saved, so if you close the capture file the
info is gone.

Regards, ULFL