Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Ring Buffer File with Tethereal

From: Stephen T Albright <sta4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 15:06:10 -0400

You need to specify the number of files with a keyword:

tethereal -a filesize:10 -b files:2 -w out.pcap

I think that will solve it for you.

Stephen Albright
Enterprise Information Solutions
MeadWestvaco
10 West Second Street
Dayton, OH 45463
Office:  937.495.1260
sta4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dominick Meglio <dmeglio@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: ethereal-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx

07/08/2005 02:50 PM
Please respond to
Dominick Meglio <dmeglio@xxxxxxxxx>; Please respond to
Ethereal user support <ethereal-users@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

ethereal-users@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[Ethereal-users] Ring Buffer File with Tethereal

Hello,

I've been trying, unsuccessfully, to get a ring buffer file to work in
tethereal. I set it up to create 2 files using the following command:

tethereal -a filesize:10 -b 2 -w out.pcap

Unfortunately, it seems to create more than two files. After running
it for a while I see:

out_00001_20050708133605.pcap
out_00001_20050708133606.pcap
out_00001_20050708133607.pcap

The longer I let it run, the more files I get. Is this a bug? Or am I
doing something wrong?

My version of tethereal is 0.10.11.

Thanks for your help,
Dominick Meglio

service._______________________________________________________________

This electronic message contains information from MeadWestvaco
Corporation or subsidiary companies, which may be confidential,
privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. The
information is intended to be used solely by the recipient(s)
named. If you are not an intended recipient, be aware that
any review, disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this
transmission or its contents is prohibited. If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify MeadWestvaco
immediately at postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.