Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] lan configuration for ethereal

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 22:14:38 +0200
B MCC wrote:

>Thanks for the reply, that link was very helpful.
>
>I see that the switched environment makes ethereal
>usage very difficult. Do other small companies tend to
>use hubs, or is it just that they don't need to use
>ethereal very often ?

I don't know a lot about small companies, but hubs are not used very
often today, as switches usually provide better throughput (and hubs are
difficult to get now).

Usually, you'll use Ethereal to track down problems. I that case, you'll
might already have an idea which hosts are involved and therefore can
select the "right" port to capture from.

However, before thinking about how and where to install Ethereal, you'll
first have to think about what you want to do.

See http://wiki.ethereal.com/NetworkTroubleshooting_2fOverview for some
typical tasks.

Regards, ULFL