Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Re: Difference with RPC and DCE RPC

From: ronnie sahlberg <ronniesahlberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 05:52:36 -0400
RPC is the common short name for ONC-RPC   an RPC mechanism made
popular by SUN that won the big unix war 10-20 years ago.

DCE/RPC is the other popular RPC emchanism developed by NCA and is
incredibly superior and more expressive than ONC-RPC.
DCE  DistributedComputingEnvironment is commonly used today as the
framework used by D-COM and all the RPC services in a windows CIFS
environment.

There are other RPC mechanisms in use as well, as the obsolete MS RAP
and the fringe RX mechanism (that did have very interesting properties
such as reliable multicast)