Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Re: How can we dissect GPRS-LLC protocol?

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 00:41:38 -0700
liu.weitai@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I have found GPRS-LLC dissector in packet-gprs-llc.c file,and Frame Relay dissector in packet-fr.c file. If 3GPP Gb interface is based on Frame Relay and E1 line,How can we dissect GPRS-LLC protocol with the Ethereal tool?
Questions such as this should be asked on ethereal-users@xxxxxxxxxxxx.

If you already have a Frame Relay capture, you would need to set the "Encapsulation" preference for Frame Relay to "GPRS Network Service". To do this, select "Preferences" from the "Edit" menu, open up the "Protocols" list in the preferences window, select "FR" (for Frame Relay), set the encapsulation, and click "OK" (click "Save" first if you want to make that setting the default).

We run Ethereal tool on RedHat Linux system. Do we need to add some E1 card on our Linux system?
That will work only if:

    you are running Ethereal on one of the machines using GPRS LLC;

the Frame Relay software in that version of Linux will pass raw Frame Relay packets to networking taps if you're running GPRS LLC.

I don't know whethe the Frame Relay software does that or not.