Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Ethereal and finding bad nics on Workstations and Servers

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 22:09:01 -0700
Hansang Bae wrote:

No easy way of doing this. There are a few problems with this. Very
few drivers pass up damaged frames to the application. This is why
Network General only supports a limited number of NICs (custom drivers
are required to circumvent NDIS' default behavior).

...and WinPcap connects to the drivers through NDIS, so it's limited by what NDIS offers (and by what the drivers offer, which normally doesn't include supplying damaged frames, although I *guess* if an NDIS client requests promiscuous mode on its connection to NDIS the driver *could* supply damaged frames - the FreeBSD Intel eepro100 driver does that for frames with bad CRCs - but there's no mechanism to get the error status from the frame from NDIS, so the NDIS client wouldn't know what the problem was with the frame).