Ethereal-users: Re: FW: [Ethereal-users] [Ethereal Users] Hardware Specs of myEthereal PC

From: Hansang Bae <hbae@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 00:01:56 -0400
On 03:22 AM 5/24/2005, Percival Jr. Gahunia wrote:
>I really appreciate  your help. I'll try to double the memory and see if there are any improvements.  My goal actually of doing this is to capture traffic in my network for a long period of time... a 24hr period capture would be better but if it is not possible for this duration a 12hr long capture would be fine...
>
>may I also ask if it is practical to use ethereal in monitoring traffic in my network for long periods of time... does ethereal designed to work like this... What can you advise to me?

I don't know that Ethereal is the best tool to capture such long durations.  But again, I have to emphasize that you should be capturing headers only.  That will SIGNIFICANTLY reduce the overhead.  You can also try capturing to multiple files so that analysis after the fact will be do-able, if a bit tedious.

I use Niksun NetVCRs for doing these types of captures.  It comes w/ 250GB of storage for captures and detailed statistics.

hsb