Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Using Ethereal

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 10:58:30 -0700
Partha W Swain wrote:

      I am trying to get the NIC information for more than 150 servers. Can I
use Ethereal to get this information, without having to login to each machine
and get the data.

What do you mean by "get the NIC information"?

If you mean information such as the type of NIC, the MAC address of the NIC, the IP address or addresses assigned to the NIC, etc., no, Ethereal isn't a tool for doing that. Perhaps some of the DMTF mechanisms:

	http://www.dmtf.org/home

can be used, although if the servers aren't "PC" servers (Suns, HP boxes, XServes, etc.) those might not be available.