Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] [Ethereal Users] Hardware Specs of my Ethereal PC

From: "Ulf Lamping" <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 18:56:40 +0200
Ethereal user support <ethereal-users@xxxxxxxxxxxx> schrieb am 20.05.05 14:55:12:

> Anybody help me,
>
> I am using Ethereal in capturing traffic crossing my BIG network, I am
> capturing packets at a rate of 1 million packets per hour. The problem is my
> PC starts to crash whenever I try to open the captured packets.

Your PC crashes or Ethereal crashes on your PC?

If your PC crashes, you might have a hardware or Windows problem, it's unlikely that Ethereal crashes your PC (although not impossible).

If Ethereal crashes, it certainly IMO was running out of memory in your situation (or there was some data in your capture file which crashed it).

> Is there anybody there who can suggest the appropriate Specifications for my
> PC. The current Specs of my PC right now is Pentium 4 CPU 3.0GHz. 256MB of
> RAM running in MS Windows XP Pro Version 2002 Service Pack 1.

If you are working with huge capture files, it would be a good idea to add more RAM (the more, the better :-). Increasing the virtual memory in windows might also be a good idea, at least as a first start ...

How much memory is used depends on the amount of data you are going to analyse and it's hard to predict detailed amounts.

Regards, ULFL