Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Tethereal can, Ethereal cannot

Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 15:47:05 +0530
>>Ethereal's opening the pipe in non-blocking mode, but it's not turning
>>non-blocking mode off on the pipe once that completes,

My first question will be "Does tethereal block on pipe?" Apple to apple :)

>>so if it tries
>>reading from the pipe before something opens the pipe for writing, it'll
>>get an EOF and assume that there's nothing more to read.

I am first running "cat packet.pcap > /tmp/myfifo" command before starting Ethereal (the command hangs till a reader<ethereal in my case> is invoked). But ethereal after starting is not able to capture anything.
Even if i do this other way round, Ethereal blocks (not even refreshes the screen) till I run my command to fill "myfifo", so it seems somehow my Ethereal (version 0.10.11) is not working in non-blocking mode.

JFYI, Ethereal does recognise an EOF if my "packet.pcap" file is empty and displays a message saying that EOF has been detected.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Jeetendra

Guy Harris wrote:
Jeetendra Singh wrote:

but ethereal is not able to display the captured packets. Am using
following command:
    "ethereal -i /tmp/myfifo -kl"
Ethereal just says that theres nothing to display as no data has been
captured.

Ethereal's opening the pipe in non-blocking mode, but it's not turning
non-blocking mode off on the pipe once that completes, so if it tries